Dave was created as an example of a typical general builder customer. I was asked to summarise his likes, dislikes and what he liked to follow in social media using an informal tone of voice that suited the profile.
Who I am
- I’m in my forties.
- Prefer ‘builder’ to ‘business owner’.
- My dad got me into the trade and my son is joining me too.
- I employ up to 3 full-timers and get subbies in for big jobs.
- My reputation is important to me.
- I’m down to earth, but also up for a laugh.
What I do
- I get work by word of mouth.
- I might get the odd job from referral websites or ads in the locals.
- My jobs vary from general repairs and maintenance to extensions and full house builds. You name it.
- Big or complex jobs – I’ll call in a specialist trade subby, who’s a mate.
- I often have two or more jobs on the go.
How I want you to talk to me
- I prefer face to face and the phone.
- I can pick up emails, texts and direct mail when it suits me, but I don’t want loads.
- I prefer straight talking and enjoy some banter.
- I’m on Facebook mainly to keep in touch with my mates and family.
- I follow: On The Tools, LADbible, SPORTbible, Sky Sports, My local football club, BBC Sport, News.
How I buy
- I use several suppliers, have around 6 credit accounts and 1 cash.
- I use the internet for checking stock availability and prices.
- If I buy online, it’s usually smaller products.
- I use brochures and websites to help customers choose what they want.
- Heavyside products come first.
- I quote for the whole job, but buy as I go for each stage. Storage and cash flow is an issue otherwise.
What my challenges are
- I hate paperwork and do my quotes during evenings or weekends.
- There can be uncertainty around income, the economy, the weather, product shortages and the amount of work.
- My jobs can be unpredictable and I get frustated with customers changing their minds.
- H&S and employment legislation is a minefield.
- Delays can mean the job goes on longer than expected, which can impact on the next job.
What I want
- I want customer referrals to get jobs in the pipeline.
- I want prices to suit that are consistent and competitive.
- I need a quick turnaround on quotes and quick service that goes the extra mile.
What I enjoy
- I like being my own boss, and jobs and hours to suit.
- I’ve got a good crowd of mates in the trade.
- I enjoy a drink down the pub, sports and cars.
- I want the right amount of essential heavyside items, when needed.
- I want to know about delays.
- I expect suppliers to be quick problem solvers, open, and to take ownership of my order.