I adopt a methodical approach to every project I work on based on years of experience of finding effective ways of checking text.
Some of the projects I’ve worked on include proofreading brand guidelines, such as Keyline for Travis Perkins.
Working with a creative designer and copywriter, I proofread the text ensuring consistency and accuracy. This is how I work and how I would approach any project:
- I re-read the content several times to ensure I haven’t missed anything
- I use a check list to ensure that all elements, such as titles and cross references, are accurate
- I check that any text amends that have been made by the designer are accurate
- I use a house style to ensure consistency with spelling and punctuation
- If there isn’t a house style or word list, I create one